Thousands of people are now leading more independent lives as a result of our adult literacy program. Last year alone, our literacy volunteers served 283 adult students with 5,945 hours of tutoring.
We received 413 reports of improved work productivity.
- They are communicating more effectively
- They have improved their writing and spelling skills
- They have gained problem solving skills
- They are visibly more self-confident
- They have secured new employment, received job promotions and assumed more work responsibilities
- They have received praise from bosses
- Many have enrolled in community college or are engaged in pre-GED preparation
We received 172 reports of increased community engagement.
- Many are working towards citizenship
- Most have library cards and are regular library users
- They are more active at church
- The have learned about American culture and share cultural events with tutors and other friends
- They have improved their ability to use the phone
- The have secured drivers' licenses
30 students said that they are contributing more to their families.
- They can conference with their children's teachers
- They can talk with school personnel
- The can enroll their children in activities
- They volunteer at school
- They read to children
- They help their children with homework
- They have learned how to write checks and have become familar with the U.S. banking system
- They help others with English
- They help family and friends enroll in our program
Photo by Bob Gilmartin Photography